We are pleased to announce that our partners Ultimate TD and Outdoor Hire, can now offer superb tailored training weekends for all charity treks and bike rides from Saturday morning through to Sunday afternoon.
"I was really pleased with the training weekend and I took a lot of good input away with which will benefit very much. I was also impressed the way U.T.D took the course in a safe manner. Many thanks." Mark Harrison (Everest Base Camp).
"Thank you for the weekend I am glad I attended. It was an immensely worthwhile experience, filled with loads of helpful tips and information. I can say with 100% certainty my challenge will be more comfortable and enjoyable due to the advice received. I would urge everyone doing a challenge to attend a training weekend." Jenna Bown (Great Wall Discovery).
We have several training locations throughout the UK including the South Downs, the Yorkshire Dales, the Peak District, Brecon Beacons & the Lake District.
The accommodation varies depending on the chosen weekend. In the South Downs you will be in a Youth Hostel and for all of the other training weekends you will be sleeping in tents, you will be sharing a room/tent with a member of the same sex. If you are camping you will need to ensure that you bring a sleeping mat, sleeping bag and anything else you want to try out before you go away on trek.
The course is fully catered with breakfast on the Sunday, 2 large packed lunches and an evening meal on the Saturday night. If you have any dietary requirements please ensure you let the team know at the time of booking.
You arrive at the midday where you are met by your instructors and receive a welcome brief and have the opportunity to meet others who are attending overseas challenges with Charity Challenge. You will learn about personal clothing and what to pack in your day bag before departing on an afternoon trek. The route depends upon the weather but is generally between 3 and 4 hours in lower to medium level terrain. During this walk you will have the opportunity to discuss your clothing and day bag in more detail and have the opportunity to learn about the health and safety that goes into a challenge prior to your departure and during your trip. On return to your base, you will learn all aspects of camp craft including erecting a tent, how to live in a tent comfortably and safely, camp administration, what to pack and take with you in your larger bag and basic survival techniques.
You will learn about cooking in the outdoors and about teamwork and supporting others whilst on your challenge. After dinner, you will embark on a 1 to 2 hour night walk so you can understand what to expect on your chosen challenge. This will give you the opportunity to experience what it is like to walk in the dark, how things seem different and how the correct use of a head torch.
The following morning, you will leave after breakfast and undertake a longer trek in medium to high level terrain. Again the route in dependant on weather but is normally between 6 and 8 hours in duration. During this trek you will learn about basic navigation, pre challenge fitness training, health and wellbeing, walking techniques and have the opportunity to ask your instructors all the questions you may have, You will return to the campsite, have the opportunity to change and ask any final questions before you depart.
- Personal clothing – What to wear and what not to
- Personal Equipment – What to pack in your day bag
- Health and Safety – what goes into putting on a challenge
- Camp craft – how to put up and live in a tent, how to keep warm, what to take in your larger bag, general camp administration
- Cooking in the Outdoors
- Basic Navigation
- Walking Techniques
- Fitness and Expedition Health
- Teamwork and supporting others
- Basic Survival Skills
- Night Hike
trek training weekends 2014 (please click on the date below to send an email to book your place):
- September 13th - 14th 2014 (Talybont on Usk, Brecon Beacons) £99 p.p tented accomodation
- Sepember 20th - 21st 2014 (South Downs) £150 p.p. hostel accommodation
- October 4th – 5th 2014 (The Chilterns, near London) £99 p.p tented accomodation
- November 1st – 2nd 2014 (Ingleton, Yorkshire dales - Hostel accommodation) £99 p.p tented accomodation.
- 7th - 8th Feb 2015 (Yorkshire Dales, Inlgeton, Hostel)£110 p.p hostel accomodation
- 7th – 8th Mar 2015 (Peak District, Edale, Hostel)£110 p.p hostel accomodation
- 4th – 5th Apr 2015 (Brecon Beacons, Talybont on Usk)£99 p.p tented accomodation
- 2nd – 3rd May 2015 (Lake District, Coniston)£99 p.p tented accomodation
- 6th – 7th Jun 2015 (Snowdonia, Llanberris)£99 p.p tented accomodation
- 4th – 5th Jul 2015 (Lake District, Patterdale)£99 p.p tented accomodation
- 1st – 2nd Aug 2015 (Snowdonia, Beddgelert)£99 p.p tented accomodation
- 5th – 6th Sep 2015 (Brecon Beacons, Talybont on Usk)£99 p.p tented accomodation
- 3rd – 4th Oct 2015 (Peak District, Edale, Hostel)£110 p.p hostel accomodation
- 7th – 8th Nov 2015 (Yorkshire Dales, Ingleton, Hostel)£110 p.p hostel accomodation
All of these dates require a minimum of 10 people to allow them to run.
cost of trekking weekends
The cost of the camping training weekend is now £99 per person and for the weekends in the hostel it is £110 per person. The cost includes youth hostel or tented accommodation for Saturday night, food from Saturday lunch time through to Sunday lunch, public liability insurance, administration and all expert training and advice from the trainers. All the training weekend dates will run if there are a minimum of 10 people booked on each weekend and you will receive confirmation of this at least 4 weeks prior to the date of the course. Cancellation is not normally an issue but oversubscription can be so please book early to avoid disappointment. Places are limited to maintain safety and quality.
trainersAll of the trainers are highly qualified and experienced expedition leaders, mountaineers and mountain leaders. All of our trainers are trained in first aid and are appropriately qualified. All our Trainers have led various UK and overseas challenges in different environments and are highly respected by the charity challenge market as excellent practitioners and knowledgeable trainers in all aspects of expeditions.
- Learn new skills and tips which will prepare you well for your chosen challenge.
- Learn about what goes on behind the scenes in putting on a challenge.
- Tackle 3 walks in just two days in one of the beautiful National Park the UK has to offer.
- Meet instructors who have led challenges and have the opportunity to ask the questions you want to.
- Have a great time with like minded people.
To book your place on any of the above training dates, please click on the link next to the relevant date.