We are pleased to announce that we now offer superb tailored training weekends for all charity treks from Saturday morning through to Sunday afternoon.
"Thank you for the weekend I am glad I attended. It was an immensely worthwhile experience, filled with loads of helpful tips and information. I can say with 100% certainty my challenge will be more comfortable and enjoyable due to the advice received. I would urge everyone doing a challenge to attend a training weekend." Jenna Bown (Great Wall Discovery).
“This weekend was worth every penny. The leaders are obviously made for this kind of job and their knowledge and passion for expedition life was shared endlessly. No question was seen to be too petty and every answer was given in depth. I would thoroughly recommend that anyone intending on going on expedition should attend a training weekend; in fact, I would question how anyone could set off well prepared without doing so. Thanks for a fantastic weekend!”
“Had the best time ever! Thanks for all the hints and tips and for putting us through our paces this weekend! A must do for anyone taking on a Charity Challenge! Thanks so much!”
“A really great weekend - feel much more prepared for my trek now!”
“The weekend was excellent. Both our instructors were without exception brilliant, informative, caring, patient and Kind. Very well trained and able to teach us what we needed to prepare for on our trip. Would highly recommend to anyone.”
Our training weekends will be held in various locations in some of the UK’s fantastic National Parks.
The accommodation varies depending on the chosen weekend and the time of year (see specific event dates for details). During the summer months accommodation is in tents and you will be sharing a room/tent with a member of the same sex tents (much like it might be when on your overseas expedition). You will need to ensure that you bring a sleeping mat, sleeping bag and anything else you want to try out before you go away on trek These will be located at good quality serviced campsites with washing, shower and other facilities. In the cooler months accommodation is in hostels in dormitory accommodation where you will be sharing rooms with members of the same sex.
The course is fully catered with breakfast on the Sunday, 2 large packed lunches and an evening meal on the Saturday night. If you have any dietary requirements please ensure you let the team know at the time of booking.
Upon arrival you will be met by your instructors and receive a welcome brief and have the opportunity to meet others who are attending overseas challenges with Charity Challenge. You will have your first set of seminars and learn about personal clothing and what to pack in your day bag before departing on an afternoon trek. The route depends upon the weather but is generally between 3 and 4 hours in lower to medium level terrain. During this walk you will have the opportunity to discuss your clothing and day bag in more detail and have the opportunity to learn about the health and safety that goes into a challenge prior to your departure and during your trip.
In the evening you will have some more seminars and learn about some basic campcraft skills, camp administration, packing advice, hygiene cooking in the outdoors and about teamwork and supporting others whilst on your challenge. After dinner, you will embark on a 1 to 2 hour night walk so you can understand what to expect on your chosen challenge. This will give you the opportunity to experience what it is like to walk in the dark, how things seem different and how the correct use of a head torch.
The following morning, you will leave after breakfast and undertake a longer trek in medium to high level terrain. Again the route in dependant on weather but is normally between 6 and 8 hours in duration. During this trek you will learn about basic navigation, pre challenge fitness training, health and wellbeing, walking techniques and have the opportunity to ask your instructors all the questions you may have. You will return to base, have the opportunity to change and ask any final questions before you depart.
The training element of the weekend is in a seminar format delivered inside and outside depending upon the subject. The various modules we deliver include:
- Personal clothing and equipment – What to wear and what not to wear. What to pack, how to pack it, what to wear, where to buy it.
- Fitness and Expedition Health – what types of training should you be undertaking for your expedition and what can you do to ensure your body is prepared for the activities you will be undertaking whilst on expedition and when back in the UK on outdoor activities.
- Camp Craft - Tent management, sleeping comfortably, erecting your tent, Food and Cooking
- Health and Wellbeing – Personal hygiene, use of sun cream, keeping hydrated, fitness training, warm ups and stretching, food and snacks
- Trekking Skills – Using walking poles, walking on different terrain, spacing, walking at altitude, walking at night.
- Map Reading and Navigation – understanding how to read a map and use a compass and some basic navigation techniques. You will also have the opportunity to do some straightforward orienteering exercises to help develop your skills and confidence
- Basic outdoors first aid advice and techniques – what to look for and what you should take with you to ensure you are able to look after yourself whilst on expedition
- Walking Techniques – how to tackle rough and steep terrain and how to try and minimize the risk of blisters and muscle strains
- Teamwork and supporting others – learning the importance of teamwork on expedition and some of the skills you can use to enhance your own experience and that of your fellow trekkers
- Basic Survival Skills – the skills you need to ensure you and your team can remain safe and comfortable in the outdoors and get the most out of your outdoor experience
- Night Hiking – experiencing the joys and issues with walking at night and what you need to do to really get the most out of walking under the stars
- 7th – 8th March – Peak District – Hostel Accommodation - £125 - Book now
- 11 – 12th April – Yorkshire Dales – Hostel Accommodation - £125 – Book now
- 18th – 19th Apr 2015 - South Downs - Hostel accomodation - £150 - Book now!
- 9th - 10th May – Lake District – Camping Accommodation - £95 - Book now
- 20th – 21st Jun 2015 - South Downs - Hostel accomodation - £150 -. Book now!
- 11th – 12th July – Brecon Beacons – Camping Accommodation - £95 - Book now
- 5th – 6th September – Peak District - Camping Accommodation - £95 - – Book now
- 3rd – 4th Oct 2015 - South Downs - Hostel accomodation - £150 - Book now!
- 3rd – 4th October – Yorkshire Dales – Hostel Accommodation - £125 - Book now
All of these dates require a minimum of 10 people to allow them to run, please contact us by clicking the book now button to confirm availability
cost of trekking weekends
The cost of the training weekend various depending on location (see costs above). The cost includes youth hostel or camping accommodation for Saturday night, food from Saturday lunch time through to Sunday lunch, public liability insurance, administration and all expert training and advice from the trainers. All the training weekend dates will run if there are a minimum of 10 people booked on each weekend and you will receive confirmation of this at least 4 weeks prior to the date of the course. Cancellation is not normally an issue but oversubscription can be so please book early to avoid disappointment. Places are limited to maintain safety and quality.
All of the instructors are highly qualified and experienced expedition leaders, mountaineers and mountain leaders. All of our trainers are trained in first aid and are appropriately qualified. All our Trainers have led various UK and overseas challenges in different environments and are highly respected by the charity challenge market as excellent practitioners and knowledgeable trainers in all aspects of expeditions.
- Learn new skills and tips which will prepare you well for your chosen challenge.
- Learn about what goes on behind the scenes in putting on a challenge.
- Meet instructors who have led challenges and have the opportunity to ask the questions you want to.
- Have a great time with like-minded people.
To book your place on any of the above training dates, please click on the link next to the relevant date.