+44 (0)20 8346 0500

celebrating 16 years of inspirational fundraising challenges

Step by step Book now Pay now Members area Special promotions Videos

participating charities

Survivors UK Survivors UK

corporate associates

Red Eye International Ltd Red Eye International Ltd
sign up to our newsletter sign up to newsletter
Grand Canyon Explorer Images

travel tips

It is your responsibility to make sure you have all the travel documents you need such as: passport, visas and travel insurance. If you don't have the right documentation you could be barred from getting on the plane and may not be entitled to a refund or travel on a future flight.

You should have:

  • Two photocopies of your passport
  • Two photocopies of your relevant tourist visa stamps*
  • Two photocopies of your travel insurance policy
  • Two photocopies of your vaccination certificates*

* (if required for your destination)

One copy should be left at home with a friend or relative, in case you lose or damage the originals. The other copy should be kept on you, and separate to the originals. Where possible, you should put the originals in a hotel safe, but should carry the photocopies with you for identification. If you need to take the originals with you on the challenge, you should keep them in a sealable plastic bag to protect them from damp.


Your passport must be valid for at least six months from the end of your challenge. If it isn't, you may be refused entry into the country you are visiting. If you need to renew your passport, please allow at least six weeks to do so, and try to avoid applying just before peak travel times such as summer, Easter and Christmas. Don't forget to enter your next of kin details into the back of your passport. For more info on applying for a British Passport and to request an application form please visit www.ukpa.gov.uk or call 0870 521 0410.


You should obtain the necessary Tourist Visa prior to your trip. Not all countries require British citizens to obtain a visa so please check the Fact File for your tour to find out. You should not rely on obtaining a visa on arrival, as you may not be allowed entry into the country. Apply for your Tourist Visa in plenty of time before departure to avoid a last-minute panic, but remember that some visas become valid from the time they are issued. Therefore, if you apply for a three-month visa six months before the challenge, it will have run out before you get there! For the very latest visa requirements, you should check with the relevant embassy & ensure you are aware of their business hours & any international festivals that may mean the embassy is closed. For further assistance on obtaining your visa please contact CIBT The Visa Service on www.cibt.com. 


It is a condition of booking that you have a suitable travel insurance policy whilst participating on the challenge. We have a special policy which covers among other things, medical (emergency, evacuation and repatriation) arrangements, cancellation and curtailment of the challenge, and more specifically for the adventurous activities undertaken on the challenge. The charity that you are supporting may be paying up to £1,800 towards the cost of your challenge, so the policy also insures that the charity is protected financially in case you are forced to cancel. In addition, the challenge leader knows that if needed in an emergency, there is just ONE 24 hour evacuation phone number to call for the entire group & they are provided with the individual policy number of each participant. You should take the original of the travel insurance policy with you, and make sure that you have the 24hr contact number in case of an emergency. If you anticipate an insurance claim upon your return, be sure to document as accurately as possible any accident, injury or loss. Doctors' notes or police reports will be required to support any claims. Please make sure you complete the relevant forms or reports at the time of the incident. Also, please read the policy wording carefully in particular the special conditions and exclusions.

luggage tags

Please do not write your home address on your luggage tags UNTIL you are on your homeward journey. Otherwise, anyone coming into contact with the bags will know that you are away and that your home may be empty. Put your name and address INSIDE your bag also, just in case the luggage tags get pulled off or destroyed. Lost baggage should be handled by the airline at the airport where it has not arrived, make sure you fill in a PIR (Property Irregularity Report) available from the airport, to track your luggage and aid any subsequent insurance claims.

FCO Travel Advice

The British Foreign & Commonwealth Office’s (FCO) Travel Advice Notices aim to ensure that British travellers are well prepared before departure. They provide updated notes about health, local travel, crime, political situation and so on. For more information about the FCO Travel Advice for the country you are planning to go to, please visit the FCO website.